About Steven Slimovitch
Criminal Lawyer, Teacher, Community Leader, Media Commentator
When under investigation or accused of an offence, it is important to retain the services of an experienced criminal defence lawyer. Steven Slimovitch is a highly skilled and experienced criminal defence lawyer with a very impressive track record. He has defended countless people and has successfully supported them throughout the legal process. He offers a unique person-centered approach that places the needs and specific situation of the client at the forefront. His ultimate goal is always to enable his clients to get their lives back on track as quickly as possible.
Steven Slimovitch provides bilingual legal counsel to individuals and corporations in the areas of criminal, penal and Charter of Rights litigation. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Canadian Politics in 1987 from McGill University and a law degree from Université Laval in 1990.
Opening his practice in September 1991, he has successfully represented clients before all levels of courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada where he was central in the modifications made to Canadian law governing freedom of religion as well as establishing regulations pertaining to the validity of certain search warrants. Every law student in Canada is required to study these two groundbreaking changes to the law that Steven Slimovitch contributed to.
He is highly regarded by the judiciary, the prosecution, and his colleagues for both his intellectual rigor and his strict adherence to ethics. His expertise is frequently sought out by clients, and colleagues. In addition, he is often called upon by the media because of his ability to analyze current legal matters and clearly explain them to the public.
Awards, Positions, and Memberships
- President, Lord Reading Law Society, established in 1948 (2015-16).
- Recipient, Queen Elizabeth II, Diamond Jubilee Medal, (2012) recognizing extensive community leadership.
- National Legal Counsel, B’nai Brith Canada.
- Member, Board of Directors Chateau B’nai Brith Canada and B’nai Brith House (Independent seniors affordable housing residences).
- Coach and Mentor, McGill University, Criminal law moot court team.
- Teacher, Barreau de Québec, Continuing Education, several criminal law courses.
- Publisher, “Slim’s Criminal Law Update” an electronic newsletter that reviews criminal law issues in the news.
- Barreau de Montréal – Board of Directors (5 years, 1 on the executive)
- Barreau de Quebéc
- Association des Avocats de la défense de Montréal